Monday, January 20, 2014

The Punisher or The One With The Dude Who Looks Like The Dude From Highlander

Frank Castle is a simple man. He has a loving wife and son, nice house in the suburbs, a great job, and he kills people. Ok well there is a little more to it than that. Frank works undercover bringing some of the biggest and worst criminals down, however on his last op something goes terribly wrong. Turns out that the youngest son of the biggest crime lord, Howard Saint, gets killed in Frank's last operation. This drives Saint into a revenge that rivals a "Godfather-esque" massacre, having Castle's entire family slaughtered, culminating in him witnessing the death of his wife and son. Being left for dead , Castle is rescued and nursed back to health by the local "shaman". Thus begins the life of the "Punisher". Castle devises a plan to systematically take down Saint and ruin everything he loves. Perfect family movie huh?!
I have loved the Punisher since I was a kid, ever since he was hired by the Jackal to kill Spiderman. Here you have a guy with no powers, just tons of training, guts, guns and attitude...this is also a guy who has gone toe to toe with the Hulk. Needless to say when this movie was announced I had some trepidations. You have to remember at this point Marvel was kind of hit or miss with it movies, I know we are all trying to forget what was that thing call Daredevil. When I heard Travolta was playing the big baddie I was afraid we were headed in the same direction. I was very pleased though, I thought Thomas Jane was a perfect match for this role. He is tortured, broody, intelligent, and had just the right bit of dry wit. Travolta was Travolta..over the top, and at times almost comedic. Don't get me wrong I loved this film, this is one of my favorite guilty pleasures. I completely recommend you check this one out, but a word of warning...do not go in looking for in-depth story and character development. You get some of that but this movie is for the action junkie in us...go out, find this , watch it, and justice will be served.
STAY TUNED KIDDIES MORE PUNISHER FUN COMING SOON.
THE PUNISHER (2004)
Written by: Johnathan Hensleigh and Michael France
Directed by: Johnathan Hensleigh
Rating: R
Runtime : 124 minutes



No comments:

Post a Comment